Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Fossil Fish Found Alive!


http://www.amazon.com/Fossil-Fish-Found-Alive-Discovering/dp/1575055368/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1300290914&sr=1-1

Discovering the coelacanth has always been a fascinating story to me. And yes, it is a story, full of suprises, heros, betrayal, accidents, twists of fate, bitter defeats, and long-lasting struggle.

It was never well-told for me, however, until I found this so-called children's book at the local library. Scientific publishing is very frugal with the colorful photos. Although not entirely absent, I have found that scientific literature could benefit greatly from storytelling flare and pictures that tell that story. Storytelling wouldn't require any sacrifice of truthful relation, although I'm sure that's a fear (and a justified one).

Anyway, this book appears to be one of the most updated sources around, with the saga followed though 2002. Printed 2010, IIRC. As only a mere collection of avaialable known facts and photos, it is valuable. It is moreso through the storytelling skill of the author, whom I commend.

No comments:

Post a Comment