Monday, December 6, 2010

The Expedables: a review

This is a follow-up to an earlier post, http://operationox.blogspot.com/2010/04/expendables-starring-charisma-carpenter.html

I have been wanting to see this movie for some time now (over half a year) and finally did last week, but this is my first chance to blog.

Considering all the mainstream actors, I was quite a bit disappointed at times. Sometimes not, sometimes yes.

Sadly, Charisma Carpenter's role was brief and limited to two scenes. Her role was pretty poorly done, but I don't think it was at all her fault. Upon looking at at least one quick shot of her with a trembling lip, I have to consider her doing the best acting the could be done with the part given her. She only had a few lines, and a pretty un-described (two-dimensional?) character.

I suppose that's in the director's and writer's control, not hers.

Beyond that, the story didn't have much of an beginning-middle-end feeling that a story should have. Although the film accomplish it's design I suppose, it's effect is basically one long action sequence. Some "breathers" and new locations and days, but pretty monotonous despite all the attention-getting violence. Very little character development or backstory, although I can justly say the film attempted to give a little "heart" to the characters and insofar as that goes, it was petty effective.

No comments:

Post a Comment