Monday, November 22, 2010

Hydrogen Peroxide: A Simple Trick to Beat a Cold

Hydrogen Peroxide: A Simple Trick to Beat a Cold

It's a widespread misconception that colds are caused by bacteria. Colds are actually triggered by a virus, which means if your physician prescribes you an antibiotic, it will be absolutely useless.

I don't advise over-the-counter medications, but one simple treatment you can try that is surprisingly effective against upper respiratory infections is hydrogen peroxide.

Many patients at my Natural Health Center have had remarkable results in curing colds and flu within 12 to 14 hours when administering a few drops of 3 percent hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) into each ear. You will hear some bubbling, which is completely normal, and possibly feel a slight stinging sensation.

Wait until the bubbling and stinging subside (usually 5 to 10 minutes), then drain onto a tissue and repeat with the other ear. A bottle of hydrogen peroxide in 3 percent solution is available at any drug store for a couple of dollars or less. It is simply amazing how many people respond to this simple, inexpensive treatment.

So What Else Can You do to Recover From a Cold, Quicker … and Prevent One in the First Place?

As I said above, the number one way to conquer a cold (or flu) is vitamin D. Vitamin D is an amazingly effective antimicrobial agent, producing 200 to 300 different antimicrobial peptides in your body that kill bacteria, viruses and fungi. So optimizing your levels will not only help send a cold virus packing … it will help ward off cold viruses in the first place.

The best source for vitamin D is direct sun exposure. But for many of us, this just isn't practical during the winter. The next best option to sunlight is the use of a safe indoor tanning device. If neither natural nor artificial sunlight is an option, then using oral vitamin D3 supplements is your best bet.

Based on the latest research, many experts now agree you need about 35 IU's of vitamin D per pound of body weight. This recommendation also includes children, the elderly and pregnant women.

However, keep in mind that vitamin D requirements are highly individual, as your vitamin D status is dependent on numerous factors, such as the color of your skin, your location, and how much sunshine you're exposed to on a regular basis. So, although these recommendations may put you closer to the ballpark of what most people likely need, it is simply impossible to make a blanket recommendation that will cover everyone's needs.

The only way to determine your optimal dose is to get your blood tested. Ideally, you'll want to maintain a vitamin D level of 50-65 ng/ml year-round.

For an in-depth explanation of everything you need to know before you get tested, please read my latest updates in Test Values and Treatment for Vitamin D Deficiency.

3 comments:

  1. I re-posted this from Dr. Mercola's article, here: http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2010/11/22/the-common-cold-simple-strategies-for-prevention-and-treatment.aspx

    I have no idea if this actually works, but I need to find something that does. I'm getting sick and tired of being sick and tired.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since I started supplementing with Vit D - I haven't come down with as many flus and colds.

    I'll consider the peroxide thing next time I'm sick
    thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Report: the peroxide seems to have helped. I'm not cured, but I am far better than I was since I used it. But then, I was perhaps already on the road to recovery. Hard to tell.

    Yeah, everyone seems to think that Vitamin C is the kicker, but Vit D shouldn't be discounted.

    When I can afford to do so, Vit D supplements might be something I should look into.

    I'm glad you commented, Nariane, because I read and have often thought about you recent post on wintry household tips. Another thing I need to try, and report on. Especially the vinegar spray for windshields, especially if I am facing work the next morning.

    ReplyDelete