Thursday, October 18, 2012

JHW: How much land does a man need?

Job Hunt Woes are never far away, but sometimes appear in a different guise. Sometimes they are not even woes, but moments of success. Right now, my woes resemble more confusion and uncertainty, although to be honest I've had a lot more success lately than I am accustomed to. Back in high school, I was forced to read many things, but a few were actually good experiences, and that includes a certain thoughtful Russian short story by Leo Tolstoy. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_Much_Land_Does_a_Man_Need%3F http://www.online-literature.com/tolstoy/2738/ -spoiler alert- As I seem to remember it, the story is about an ambitious man who wants to be a rich landholder, and talks some indigenous people into selling him land based on how far he can run a circle in a day. He wins a huge tract of land for the purchase price, but the actual price is that he dies from a heart attack (or somesuch). How much land does a man need? About six feet. I've been thinking about that moral a lot lately. I'm at a bit of a crossroads, here. Life is too short, and better to know when to quit while you are ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment