Tuesday, September 20, 2011

JHW: Horrendous online application as usual

I just finished another horrible online job application for Target. I originally didn't plan on naming names, but I think it's worth naming if company's are going this outlandish with their drug screenings.

What concerns me most is the "or other specimens" clause. What? You want a finger or a toe? Well, I can't complain, I've signed my life away, whenever, wherever you find convenient. I realize that realistically it wouldn't be an issue -- at a minimum, the threat of civil law suits would make an employer restrain themselves. But this is crazy!

Drug Test Consent 1. I HAVE RECEIVED, READ AND UNDERSTAND Target's
Drug Free Workplace Policy and Drug Test Consent form. I AGREE to
follow Target's Drug Free Workplace Policy and Drug Test Consent form
and understand failure to follow it may result in disciplinary action,
up to and including termination.

2. I UNDERSTAND that I must pass a drug screen/test to be hired by
Target.I ALSO UNDERSTAND that I may have to take a drug and/or alcohol
test, including an on-site screen where lawful, as outlined in the
Drug Free Workplace Policy and Drug Test Consent form.

3. I AGREE to provide my urine, breath, blood or other specimen(s) for
screening/testing for drugs and/or alcohol whenever deemed necessary
by Target, a collection site or a medical provider.

4. I CONSENT to the specimen(s) being collected at the assigned
collection site(s) or on-site screening facility and further consent
to have my specimen(s) analyzed by the on-site screening facility ( if
applicable) and/or tested at a U.S. Department of Health and Human
Services/Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration
(HHS/SAMHSA)-certified laboratory.

5. I CONSENT to the release of screen and/or test results to Target,
to the company's third-party administrator (including its agents,
affiliates, or other related entities involved in the
screening/testing process) and its Medical Review Officer (MRO) or as
otherwise allowed or required by applicable federal, state, or local
law.

6. I UNDERSTAND I will be given the opportunity to discuss a positive
drug test result with the MRO, a licensed physician who will consider
any offered legitimate medical explanation for the test result. I
AGREE to cooperate with the MRO. I UNDERSTAND that the MRO is not
acting as my physician or health care provider in performing this
service and that no physician-patient relationship is formed between
us. I UNDERSTAND the MRO may contact my health care provider(s) or
others to verify any information I have supplied about why the test
was positive (such as being on a prescription medication). I AUTHORIZE
my health care provider or others to give the MRO this information.

7. I RELEASE Target or any of its operating companies, the MRO, the
laboratory, the collection site, my health care provider(s), or others
who verify information I have supplied, and their respective
employees, agents, and affiliates from any and all liability in
connection with a specimen collection and/or test, or any employment
action taken as a result of a specimen collection and/or test.

8. I AGREE that information relating to a test (including its results)
may be disclosed by Target, the MRO, the laboratory, the collection
site, my health care provider(s), or others who verify information I
have supplied, and their respective employees, agents, and affiliates,
if I challenge this test or results, or if I take any action as a
result of a test in any kind of administrative, judicial, legal or
other proceedings relating to my employment or potential employment,
including but not limited to worker's compensation, unemployment
compensation or other proceedings.

1 comment: